I wrote my last exam of the term this morning, and now I’m back home in Toronto. I don’t get much of a break, though. I have to drag my ass back to the Loo for spring on Sunday. It really sucks. But wow, it’s been one hell of a term. Work hard and play hard all the way. In fact I think every term has been getting progressively more interesting.
The last 3 or so weeks have been a living hell for me, but somehow I got through it. I wrote my exam in the morning, then went for lunch with two of my favourite people :) I love how the weather was awesome; it really does lift your mood. We finally left for Toronto around 6pm, and arrived close to 8. My plans for this week are: chilling, chilling, Niagara Falls, chilling, back to Loo. I haven’t slept in about 32hrs, so I might possibly be pounding gibberish on my keyboard. And now I must go pass out on my bed.
I don’t think school has ever hated me so much. For some reason, this term I am having so many administrative issues, and it’s giving me a lot of unnecessary stress.
- Late final exam. Usually, WLU ends their exam period at the same time, if not earlier than UW. I saw that the last day of exams for Waterloo was April 24th, and Spring term starts on May 4th. So back in February, I started planning out an end-of-term week-long cruise trip with some friends. Then the actual exam schedule for UW came out. I checked, and everything was fine. Then, the WLU exam schedule came out. And what do you know, I have a final exam on April 27th, leaving me an entire week to study for it, but also only 5 days between the end of this term and beginning of next. So basically I had to cancel the whole cruise thing, leaving me very agitated and depressed.
WHAT THE FUCK! This retardedness also led to the consequence of…
- Being homeless. Due to a housing policy, I am required to vacate residence within 24 hours of my last final exam. UW’s exams officially end on April 24th, and my last UW exam is April 20th, so this would not have been a problem. However, thanks to freaking stupid Laurier, my last exam is on the 27th, so I would need to extend my residence stay for a few days. I checked out the housing website and it said:
No extensions will be granted beyond the final date on your residence contract (Saturday, April 25th).
I email UW Housing for a reality check. Surely (and totally unswiftly) they reply me with:
Unfortunately I cannot extend your stay past April 25th.
I went to the Laurier undergrad office to see if maybe I can move my last exam to an earlier date. The lady asked where I lived. I told her Toronto. She said “then you can come back from Toronto and write it.” BITCH! BITCHHH! I do NOT pay these people $3k/term for them to screw me over like this! So bottom line is I am homeless in Waterloo from April 25-27.
WHAT THE FUCK!
- Work report marking. Every co-op term, I am required to write a work term report (WTR), and it is to be graded by my supervisor and also UW Math Undergraduate Office (MUO). Somewhat annoying, but not a big deal. If you fail (usually grammar issues), you are required to schedule a 30-minute appointment with your marker who will help you correct all your errors and tell you to rewrite a certain chunk of your report. This is usually very easy, as they tell you exactly what to fix, and as long as you hand it in, you will be given a pass on your transcript. In first year, I failed because I kept making the same one grammatical mistake and also because I did not follow the formatting strictly enough (ie. my “p” in “prepared by” was capitalized when it should have been lowercase). Yes, believe it or not, these people are more anal than I am.
This term, I handed in my work report, and everything was hunky-dory until I got an email:
The work report you submitted has received a grade of ‘Unsatisfactory’. Please come to the Mathematics Undergraduate Office as soon as possible, to pick up your work report and arrange for a mandatory tutorial session.
Okay, fine. I guess it was my fault because I really half-assed this one. It’s my last work report, and I was just aiming for a pass. My content really sucked, and I was probably not being picky enough at 5am as I was finishing it up. I went to MUO to pick it up and made an appointment for Monday morning. Later on, I looked at my marking rubrik and they had actually given me a “Good”, ie. a pass. I kind of wondered why I still needed to schedule an appointment.
I had stayed up quite late on Sunday, finishing an assignment, but dragged my tired ass to MC the next morning anyways (there is a fee for missed WTR tutorials). I got there, waited around and bit, and when my marker still did not show up, went to MUO to ask what the holdup was. They told me she was actually sick and so I had to reschedule. Grudgingly, I checked off Friday morning. Thursday was another late night for me and again I didn’t sleep much. In addition, I had a midterm on Friday afternoon. I went to my tutorial anyways. My marker was still sick, but some other lady was there to cover for her.
She went through about 60% of my report with me, all the while commenting things like “I don’t know why she failed you… you don’t have nearly that many issues” and “I feel bad because I’ve passed students with a lot more errors than you”. So as she was finishing up, she asked if I had any additional questions. I asked why I was given a “Good”, yet still failed. She looked at the marking scheme and was surprised to see my final evaluation. She then went over to the MUO to investigate why I was asked to schedule a tutorial session. They checked their records, and it turns out someone made an admin mistake. I didn’t fail, didn’t need to have a tutorial, and don’t need to re-write the report.
WHAT THE FUCK!
- Exam conflict. I’ve never had exam conflicts before. Usually they are spaced out decently. This term, however, the academic Gods decided to fuck with me and schedule my two worst subjects on the same day at the same time. Normally this would result in a student having to fill out an exam conflict form, handing it in to the Registrar’s Office, and writing the two exams one hour apart that day, in a separate room. This is quite common, and considering I have a week to study for both exams, I just have to really step up my game. Nonetheless, the prospect of Accounting and CO on the same day still makes me want to piss my pants.
I fill out the exam conflict form, and went to the UW Registrar’s Office today to hand it in. The lady at the counter glances at it and tells me that the deadline has passed and it is now “strictly between you and the prof”, meaning I’d have to speak with my professors to see if they are willing to accommodate. This wouldn’t have been so bad if:
- My CO prof didn’t think I was retarded because I have been bombing assignments and midterms like no tomorrow, and
- My Accounting prof didn’t think I was retarded because:
- On the first case assignment, my partner became deathly ill and actually had to go back to Markham to see her family doctor. So I was sort of left alone to work on a case study meant for 3 people. I emailed the prof about this situation and he gave me an extension, but I handed it in on time anyways and got 70% (class average was 80%).
- I got sick and couldn’t write my midterm so now my final is worth 75%.
- If I have another issue with the final exam, he’s probably just going to think I’m an irresponsible moron who likes to find any excuse for extensions/deferrals/conflicts.
In any case, I really started to panic. Also, I got really angry because:
- There was no deadline specified on the Registrar site. You can see there is an exam relief deadline, but none for conflicts.
- Why the hell should there be a deadline for conflicts anyways? Sometimes modifications are made to the exam schedule, and conditions change. This is really not under the student’s control at all.
I left the building seething, and marched to the library to print off some notes. While I was there, I sent a very angry email to the Registrar’s Office, demanding to know this so-called “deadline” date, as there wasn’t one on the site. I came back home, and received a reply:
Someone at the front counter may have been confused, because it is too late to qualify for exam relief, but if you have overlapping exams, something can still be done.
So essentially, the stupid lady at the counter is illiterate, and I have to go back there and hand in my form again.
WHAT THE FUCK!
That is my rant about academic issues that shouldn’t even be happening. As if my courses this term haven’t been giving me enough shit already, it’s like both schools teamed up to test my sanity tipping point. EFFMYLIFE. AND FUCK STUPID INCOMPETENT ADMIN BASTARDS. I HATE SCHOOL.
So before reading week, I went clubbing and karaoke-ing a couple times, maybe averaging about twice a month. After reading week, school just really picked up and things got super intense. I’ve been pulling allnighters left and right, and my sleep schedule is completely messed up. To compensate, I think I’ve been using workload as an excuse to party harder.
Last last Friday was the fashion show and afterparty, the Wednesday after that was Jinhui’s birthday. We tried to go to a gay club, but it was completely empty, so we ended up at Roxxanne’s… a local strip club. Just because we’ve never been. I was surprised as to how many women were actually there as spectators. There was a wet t-shirt contest that night, and some girl with fake boobs won. I lost more hope in humanity.
Last Friday I went to Sausage Party, a house party hosted by some friends and sort of reunited with CASA people. It got so crowded and loud that the cops came, and by 1am, the underage people had for the most part filtered out. I stayed until about 1:30 then went off to K-Zone until about 3:00, then for some food at Mel’s. By then our group had somehow dwindled to 6 people. As we were coming out of Mel’s, there was a fistfight between my friend and some random dude. I was pretty freaked out, but we were able to safely vacate the premises.
This past Friday, I went to Video Games Live. It was sooooo awesome and epic and blah blah blah what Krishna said. If they’re in Kitchener/Toronto next year, I’d love to go again. After we got back, I went to Mark’s place “just for some drinks” because it had been a pretty rough week (STUPID CO SONOFABITCHHHH). We started playing Kings and suddenly the “some drinks” turned into crazy 151 shots. People got pretty hammered, some hilarious shit went down, and once again there was an injury (nonintentional).
In any case I’ve definitely shot my diet/workout regime all the way to hell. I’m finding this correlation between school/work frustration and need to consume alcohol. I understand bankers now. And I have 4 assignments/midterms due this week, so hmm…
We are about two months into the school term, so it’s about that time again, when you’re bombarded with midterms and assignments and realize that you haven’t actually learned shit in any of your courses. And then you wonder why you signed up to put yourself through 4-5 years of this bullcrap, while funding the torture with your parents’ life savings.
I really have nothing to look forward to anymore. I went into the year thinking the courses this term weren’t so bad (except accounting; I am always deathly afraid of accounting), but no. CO has been about as pleasant as an elephant shitting on your face, and my recent stats midterm mark was like a bitchslap from left field (the slap bet kind… it comes when you least expect it). Also, WLU managed to screw me over again (surprise!) with their exam schedule. I now have an exam conflict, and an exam after the last day of my residence contract, so I could quite possibly be homeless in Waterloo for a couple days at the end of April. In addition, this exam has interfered with my vacation planning, so that went out the window. I haven’t even been able to hit the gym for about three weeks.
In summary, I’m essentially failing 3/5 courses, I have no social life, I get depressed just thinking about finals, I feel like a slob, and I have a fashion show to attend in about 10 hours. I hope the afterparty serves a LOT of alcohol. Freaking hell.
She looks like she's having fun
Recently there has been a void in my life. It just felt like something was missing. After endless nights a few minutes of soul-searching, I realized it was shopping. I haven’t shopped since Boxing Day. It’s not like I really need to buy anything, but I miss the nonsensical indulgence of a little purchasing power. There are some birthdays coming up, so maybe I can satiate my retail needs over Reading Week.
School has been very shitty the past few weeks. I have a CO370 midterm on Thursday and I just can’t motivate myself to study because the course material is so damn perplexing. It’ll take me 30min and 10 re-reads to figure out a single constraint in a linear program. We started future income taxes in accounting, and I don’t understand it. Whoever the hell came up with all these rules and policies for accounting must have hated business students.
Last night I went out for dinner with Lis, Wes and Kelv. We went to Miju, a Korean restaurant in the plaza at King/University. As we walked in, I saw a guy carrying a bunch of menus. I thought he worked there, so I told him that we had 4 people. He didn’t say anything but walked straight to his table. Turns out he was a customer. Yes, sometimes I am just too awesome.